The “Wanna Read?” initiative is led by Sheikha Shamma bint Sultan bin Khalifa Al Nahyan.
Established in 2013, this non-profit organisation creates warm, friendly and stimulating environments in hospitals across the United Arab Emirates, to help children through their healing and rehabilitation process. Sheikha Shamma firmly believes that an enjoyment of books should be encouraged in all ages and, therefore, “Wanna Read?” aims to promote reading and learning by providing this facility.
To encourage reading and foster well-being by creating a dedicated and enriching environment for children.
What We Do
United Arab Emirates hospitals provide the highest standards of medical care. The “Wanna Read?” programme aims to complement these high standards and to support the rehabilitation process through educational enrichment.
The “Wanna Read?” team sets up an area within hospitals that is solely for children. They create a colourful environment, full of books and other interesting things, to entertain children and to encourage them to learn through reading.
The “Wanna Read?” team sets up areas within paediatric wards, creating a warm, friendly and stimulating environment, filled with an abundance of books, to help young patients through their healing and rehabilitation.
To date, we have opened 15 rooms in the following hospitals:
Sheikh Khalifa Medical City
NMC Royal Hospital
Sheikh Khalifa Hospital Hospital
Umm Al Quwain
Sheikh Khalifa General Hospital
Ras Al Khaimah
How We Make It Possible
“Wanna Read?” is funded entirely by donations. Every donation, no matter how big or small, will help us to reach more children in hospitals throughout the United Arab Emirates.
It is thanks to the generosity and spirit of our supporters that so much has already been achieved, but there is more to be done. Our ambition is to make this programme truly national and to do so we need your support.
“Wanna Read?” is always very grateful for donations and the help of volunteers.
We need volunteers for:
- Book Drives – Collecting good quality children’s books.
- Reading – Visiting patients and brightening their day by reading to them.
- Administration – Helping us with general administration and sorting books at our office in Abu Dhabi.
- PR – We need your help if you have experience with the media or in design.
- Artists and Painters – Help us to brighten up a room and make a difference.
We also welcome and encourage support from:
- Schools that can organise sponsored readathons, spellathons and book donation events.
- Publishing Houses that can donate new literature.
- Corporations that can sponsor and decorate a room as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Individuals who can lead fundraising efforts by hosting bake sales, lunches and coffee mornings, or support “Wanna Read?” in sponsored events, for example – running a marathon for the charity
There are many more hospitals that need our help. Please support us.